Interesting Snippets & Buildings not open to public
On the one corner is the First National Bank – the bank has occupied this position since the beginning of the 20th Century, first as the Natal Bank, then Barclays and now First National.
On the opposite corner was the Standard Bank which occupied the corner from 1889, when the bank first opened for business in Dundee, until the new Standard Bank was built in the 1990’s. While a bank, the clock on the front of this building was always regarded as the official time in Dundee.
There is a wonderful story of how the gold from the Standard bank was carried to safety out of Dundee in coffins, just before the battle of Talana. Legends and myths add colour to the actual historical events.
From Victoria turn left into Gladstone Street and walk along the row of shops to the Methodist Church. This row of little shops was built and operating by 1905 as photographs of the major snowstorm in that year show.
93 Mckenzie St (PH)
Otto Siedle owned Mine Stores in Glencoe. His daughter Perle trained as an opera singer and during the Second World War stood on the end of the pier at Durban harbour and sang to every troop ship entering or leaving the harbour – even on the day that she got the news of her own son’s death. Perle Siedle Gibson was known as the “Lady in White”. Growing up she spent many of her school holidays in this house.
In 1935 McKenzie Street was renamed in honour of John McKenzie, mayor of Dundee. The street had originally been Ladysmith Road and was the main thoroughfare into Dundee from the Ladysmith direction and out towards Vryheid.
Rosevean (PH) 16 Union St
Built by Mr Harvey of the millers Harvey and Retallack in 1892. This building was occupied and used as the Boer headquarters during the occupation of Dundee from 22 October 1899—15 May 1900.
Built in the mid 1890’s this home was originally set in a large property. The entrance gates led of Smith St. However, with subdivision of property all the land surrounding this lovely home has been developed and it has lost is magnificent setting, although still a superb example of the architecture and wealth of the time.
Built in 1896 by Mr A.A. Smith a lawyer in Dundee. It has a remarkable Victorian conservatory, magnificent Victorian tiled verandahs, pressed steel ceilings and ornate Victorian fire places. The original stables are still on the property.
This is a declared Provincial Heritage Site.
It was built in 1894 and used as a boy’s school, which could accommodate 20 boarders comfortably. It stood in large grounds, much of which has been subdivided and sold off over the years, but it still has remarkably few changes to the building over the last century.
Now Penryn Guest House. Built in 1910 this was the first double storey house in Dundee. Dr LLoyd who lived here had his medical surgery in one of the rooms on the ground floor that led off the verandah.
Built in the mid 1920’s by Mr Johnstone of the from Johnstone and Keith. Magnificent mahogany bookcases and shelving units were imported from London to be fitted into this house. At the same time as the house was being built Johnstone and Keith also had the contract to build the Dundee Club. They had ordered a curved stained glass window for the club with the letters DC entwined in coloured glass, but on its arrival found that the space that had been left was too small and the window did not fit. Mr Johnstone then built it into the dining room of his own home. If you view the house from Oldacre St you can still see the letters DC along the top of the curved glass window.
Built in 1892 by Mr Talbot the chemist in Dundee. This home is a remarkable example of the style of the time, with locally produced bricks and beautiful wooden floors, skirtings and yellowwood window sills throughout the house.
This is a declared Provincial Heritage Site.
It was from 1924 – 1957, the home of the minister. A new home was built adjacent to the church and thus this building ceased to be used and was sold.
Bellevue (PH) 95 Smith St
Built in 1894 this property was part of the original Orange Grove Dairy. The bluestone buildings which were used for selling milk stood among an Orange Grove (hence the name), but sadly over time and with the sub division of the property all but one of the original dairy buildings have been demolished.
The house at the corner of Gladstone and Albert St was the home of Mr “Sniffy” Smith, mine manager of the Dundee Colliery.
Shembe is a combination of Zulu culture and Christianity and has gained popularity in recent times. You will see circles of white stone which demarcate the prayer area. A number of these exist on the fringes of the town can be seen in the area. The followers of this religion wear white robes.